A Charitable Company Limited by Guarantee
Our Community Company was set up in 2001 by a partnerships of local community groups and businesses – the Community Council, the Public Hall, the Golf Club, the Boat Hotel and the Visitor Association – with a view to enhance the village and promote community projects.
The Company is a clear legal entity, separate from the persons involved in it – and can hold property, enter into leases and other contracts, employ people, etc, in its own name. It doesn’t matter if the Directors change because it is the company and not the Directors that hold title to land, enter into contracts, etc, but changes must be notified to Companies House.
A company is generally regarded by funding bodies and public agencies as a more ‘stable’ structure than a voluntary association.
The Company works in partnership with Boat of Garten & Vicinity Community Council and has close links with Boat of Garten Community Hall, Cairngorms National Park Authority, Highland Council, RSPB and SNH.
Boat of Garten Community Company is a Company Limited by Guarantee incorporated under the Companies Act and Registered as a Charity in Scotland. The Company’s Articles of Association are available to download.
1. Principal Objects
- To promote the cultural, social and environmental interests of the Community.
- To encourage the residents of Boat of Garten to participate in these aims.
- To provide the means by which these aims may be achieved.
2. Liability of Members
Every member of the Company undertakes to contribute such amount as may be required (but no more than £1.00) to the Company’s assets should it be wound up while s/he is a member or within one year after s/he ceases to be a member. This amount will be used to pay off any of the Company’s debts and liabilities which may have been contracted before s/he ceased to be a member, as well as the charges and expenses of winding up the Company.
The Community Company holds an Annual General Meeting at which the usual reports are presented. At this Annual General Meeting, members of the Community Company have the right to elect new Directors or confirm existing Directors in post.
Board meetings are normally held in January, April, June and September, with the AGM being in November, and all Company members are very welcome to attend.
Full membership is open to all individuals over the age of 16 years, who rent or own a residential property or own a business within the Community, who support the purposes and activities of the company. Any full member can stand to be appointed to the Board of Directors.
Individuals over the age of 16 years from any other community, who have a social, cultural or sporting interest within the Community, who support the purposes and activities of the company can become.an Associate Member and support the work of any Company Group. They do not have the powers of Individual Members. Download a membership form here.
Existing constituted clubs, societies and organisations within PH24 can apply to be Group Members of the Company. A group membership form can be downloaded here.
5. Method of Working
Projects and activities are run by sub-groups each of which must include at least one Reporting Director, but can have as many members as are interested. These groups progress their own activities, reporting to the Board’s quarterly meetings, and individual members of the groups do not have to get involved with governance, charity or legal compliance.
The groups currently include:
- Woodland Wheels Project – creating a Pump Park at the Curling Pond site, which is now owned by the Company.
- Heritage group: having completed the enhancements to the Station Square, including the Information Hub and the Osprey Feather and Horse & Cart sculptures, the group is now working towards the creation of a heritage trail, and a memories collection. See our Interpretation Plan: the full report or the summary.
- Events Group, bringing events and festivals to the village.
- Marketing/PR/Website group: a small group responsible for destination marketing, public relations; the maintenance and improvement of the village website and social media updates.
- Friends of the Garden: the people responsible for maintaining our Community Garden.
- BoGWiG: The Boat of Garten Wildlife group exists to encourage interest in and knowledge of the local flora and fauna and manages Milton Loch and Woodlands (which is owned by the Company) and the local Badger Hide.
- Strathspey Wind Group: A group of wind players who meet in the Community Hall on Monday afternoons.
- Boat Bells: A group of hand chime players who meet in the Community Hall on Tuesday evenings
Current members of the Board of Directors are:
|Alan Bennet||Chair Email Alan|
|Non-Director Office Bearers|
|Heather Goodall||Community and Minutes Secretary|
For more information, please email the Secretary or email@example.com
Registered in Scotland No: 224956 – a Charitable Company Limited by Guarantee – Scottish Charity No: SC032531
Registered office: Boat of Garten Post Office, Deshar Road, Boat of Garten, PH24 3BN